Oct 16, 2010

Transplant Patient Had an Emotional Reunion with Her Heart - in a Museum

      A transplant patient had an emotional reunion with her heart when she came face to face with the organ that nearly killed her – in a museum.
    Jennifer Sutton, who gave the heart to the museum to highlight the need for donors, said she had mixed feelings when she saw it.



She added: 'It was slightly surreal but amazing at the same time to see the object that had caused me so much pain and anguish."


'It is weird to think I am stood here alive and that was part of me once upon a time.'

The 23-year-old suffered from the condition restrictive cardiomyopathy since she was 18 and had a transplant earlier this year.


          She said: 'I was breathless and struggling to walk up hills. It got to the point where I couldn't walk very far on the flat. I was lethargic and, as it progressed, it started to affect my liver.'
She was glad to say a final farewell to her old unhealthy heart.
Miss Sutton, from Ringwood, Hampshire, added: 'I was really curious and excited to see it but at the same time I am trying to love the heart I have now. I have lost my feelings for the old one; it doesn't matter to me any more.'
The exhibition, at the new £30million Wellcome Collection, in Central London, ran until September 16.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...